We recognise that all students possess unique skills, abilities and aptitudes and all have an entitlement to access a broad, challenging and appropriate curriculum which is delivered through high quality teaching. Every student is also entitled to experience and engage with a variety of learning activities through high quality teaching. Erasmus Darwin Academy aims to enable our students to make outstanding progress, to develop a love of learning and to become highly effective lifelong learners.
As an Academy, we expect that the majority of lesson will feature certain elements that will constitute effective teaching and will thus facilitate the effective delivery of the curriculum. These elements include:
- Meticulous planning and resourcing, to ensure that lessons are accessible, engaging and academically challenging for all
- Students will be provided with opportunities to develop skills such as literacy, numeracy and oracy. These opportunities include activities such as extended writing and reading challenging texts.
- Students will be provided with systematic feedback throughout the lessons.
- Varied forms of AFL, such as targeted questioning, should be implemented and should lead to a notable impact on student knowledge and understanding.
- Timely and effective intervention when underachievement is evident or when expectations are not met.
The Learning Environment
- In order for the learning to be effective, the environment must be positive, stimulating, calm and purposeful. The interactions between all individuals should be positive.
- The highest of expectations should be evident throughout with teachers implementing the Behaviour for Learning Policy to reinforce this. Clear routines should be evident.
Teachers should implement the ‘EDA WAY’ (Appendix 2) to reinforce their expectations